What? What am I talking about?
Don’t scroll by! Stay right here my friends. This FRUIT CAKE is different.
That’s right… I told you this was different.
I found this recipe on Instagram. This woman shared her Grandmother’s recipe. She even shared her Grandmother’s hand written recipe card. If you are on Instagram her account is MustLoveHerbs. A wonderful account to follow.
This fruit cake can be described as a fruit and nut cake. It’s quite dense and deliciously moist. It’s loaded with figs, dates, raisins, craisins, prunes, apricots and nuts!
So let’s get started… take the time to get all the ingredients ready. Here they are waiting to become a FRUIT CAKE! Our kitchen table was pretty much covered. 😃
Here is the recipe.
1.In a Large Bowl mix together the first ingredients.
- 1 cup Crisco (shortening)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- Add 4 eggs
- Add 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/2 cup of apple jelly
Set this wet mixture to the side.
2.Now in another bowl mix the following ingredients.
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
3. Begin adding the dry ingredients slowly to the wet mixture and mix gently. Alternatively add milk after each addition of the flour mixture. (Only use a 1/2 cup of milk!) Do this until all 3 cups of the flour mixture and the 1/2 cup of milk are mixed together.
4. Now add the goodies to the combined mixture.
- 1 cup chopped dry dates
- 1 cup chopped pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup chopped dried figs
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 8 oz. raisins
- 8 oz. craisins
- 3/4 cups of chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cups of chopped pecans
5. Spray Loaf Pans with vegetable oil. Add parchment paper to the loaf pans and spray the parchment paper as well. (I used 1 loaf pan and 3 small or mini loaf pans) Now add the mixture to all pans.
6. Bake all at 300 degrees for about 60 minutes or so. Inserting a tooth pick until it comes out clean is the best way to make sure your Fruit Cake is done. My larger loaf pan took a little longer.
7. Cool fruit cake and then take out of loaf pans to cool a bit more. I kept a damp tea cloth on them until I wrapped them in Clear Wrap to keep them moist.
On early mornings… we enjoy a small piece with our coffee on the back patio. It’s delicious! I hope you can give this a try. It’s really that good! And I thank “Must Love Herb” for sharing this recipe on her Instagram account.
Thank you for your visit. Enjoy your festivities! Please stay safe everyone.
Sending all of you Happy Holiday Wishes!